An unregistered gas fitter has been fined after a leak from a newly fitted range in a care home.
The Importance of Gas Safety
The man in question installed a new cooker after he damaged the existing cooker while fitting a new kitchen. Over the following 24 hours, staff at the care home experienced problems with the cooker. They contacted their usual Gas Safe Registered engineer. The engineer found a substantial leak from the supply connection to the cooker.
Investigation of the Gas Leak
The Health & Safety Executive conducted an investigation. They also found that the man was not registered with the Gas Safe Register. The installation paperwork that came with the appliance made reference to correct installation by a qualified engineer. It also made multiple references to compliance with Gas Safety Regulations. These instructions were not followed.
The man pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3 (1) and 22 (1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was sentenced to six months imprisonment for each offence, suspended for 12 months. He was also ordered to undertake 120 hours unpaid work and to pay £2,000 costs.
A HSE Inspector spoke after the hearing. ‘[The man] undertook gas work, which he knew he was not registered to do. In this case [his] unregistered gas work put the lives of vulnerable people at real risk from fire and explosion.’
How Can We Help You?
At AW Safety, we understand the importance of making sure that you are following the correct regulations. Our consultancy team are highly qualified to identify any points for concern in your business.
As well as this, we also offer training services for your employees. It’s important to ensure that your workers are compliant and familiar with the rules and regulations that they have to follow.
Not sure what you need? Why not get in touch with a member of our friendly team? They are always on hand to help, and they are more than happy to assist with any queries you may have.
Let’s start a conversation today.More News