SMSTS – Course Intro
This two-day refresher course is for delegates who have previously passed the full five-day (SMSTS) course who wish to renew their certification and can provide proof of their previous SMSTS qualification. It aims to bring health and safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of the legislative changes and their impact on the workplace.
Edwinstowe House, High Street, Edwinstowe, NG21 9PR
15th - 16th January 2019
13 places left
SMSTS-R – Course Overview
This two-day refresher course is for delegates who have previously passed the full five-day (SMSTS) course who wish to renew their certification and can provide proof of their previous SMSTS attendance. It aims to bring health and safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of the legislative changes and their impact on the workplace.
Successful candidates will gain refreshed knowledge in the Health and Safety at Work Act, CDM Regulations 2015, site set-up, risk assessments/method statements, working at height, scaffolding and electricity. You will also cover excavations, demolition and confined spaces. The course will also cover updates to any recent changes in accepted working practices and behavioural safety affecting existing and any planned construction projects.
SMSTS certification expires after 5 years, so please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six-month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.
Aims and Objectives
To assist delegates who already hold the SMSTS certificate to:
– Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues; and
– Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation, and new working practices – Provide an overview of changes to the current legislation affecting the construction industry
– Be made aware of, and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a manager
– Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry best practice
– Be made more aware of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
Please note: Delegates are required to attend both full days of the training in order to be awarded the qualification.
During the course attendees will need to show an understanding of the main course elements and pass the core exercises and assessments, these could be via individual or group-based evaluations.
At the end of the training there is a final examination consisting of a multiple-choice exam paper. On successfully passing the exam the delegates will then be requalified for certification in construction site management, the certificates can take 6-8 weeks to arrive. Please note: The SMSTS Refresher Course pass rate is 80% (28 out of 35 marks) but in order to pass the course successfully delegates will be required to answer all 5 of the safety critical questions.
The SMSTS requalification is valid for a period of five years. A further 2-day SMSTS refresher (SMSTS-R) must be taken prior to the expiry of the SMSTS requalification or the delegate will be required to requalify in full and need to complete the 5-day SMSTS training course again.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Please note: Failure to provide the following on the first day of the course is likely to result in the delegate not being allowed to attend or complete the training.
- Photographic I.D. is required for all delegates to be presented during course registration.
- Written parental consent is required for all delegates under 18 years of age.
- All delegates must have a good understanding of written & spoken English to complete the course successfully. Please note: that translators are not permitted to attend.
Course fee £290.00 plus VAT