Electrical Safety Warning from The HSE
Following a recently concluded prosecution, the HSE is warning of electrical safety dangers in farms.
Back in 2017, Deana Simpson was electrocuted whilst preparing food in a static caravan in Warwickshire. She died as result of the electric shock sustained from the cooker. The caravan was shared with her partner on the farm owned by his father.
Following the incident the electrical installation was checked and examined by a qualified electrician, who found it in poor and dangerous condition. Essentially there was obvious danger and potential for a shock.
An investigation found that the generator had been modified weeks early by her partner.
He was not a qualified electrician and despite this and being told that work would need to be carried out by a professional, he fitted a new inverter.
Her partner and his father were since sentenced. Her partner was sentence to six and a half years on charges of manslaughter with his father receiving a suspended sentence of 10 months after pleading guilty to two breaches of health and safety at his farm.
Ms Amy Kalay who managed the HSE’s involvement in this case said: “This was a completely avoidable and foreseeable incident. Deana was killed because work on an electrical system hadn’t been done by a professional electrician with the right skills and experience.”
It goes to show that when it comes to electrical safety, professionals are called in for a reason. This incident could have easily been avoided with the sufficient testing of the portable appliances.More News