Apprentice Suffers Life Changing Injuries
A manufacturing company in Oldham has been sentenced and handed a huge fine after an apprentice suffered life changing injuries following a health & safety breach.
On 21st November 2018, a 17 year old apprentice who had worked with the company for around 18 months at the time, severed 3 fingers when his right hand glove became entangled in a machine.
The teenager was reaming work pieces using an unguarded pillar drill whilst wearing gloves.
His injury is life changing, but it was one which was easily preventable and the risks should have been identified. The HSE found that there were no guards in place to prevent access to rotating parts.
And what’s more shocking is that the company had failed to provide suitable information, instruction and health & safety training to the apprentice. This included clear instructions not to wear gloves.
On top of this they also failed to provide adequate supervision and monitoring.
The manufacturing company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The fines and costs totalled a whopping £65,000 plus.
Source HSEMore News